Thursday, January 2, 2014

What more can I do?


Often when I am talking to people about doing things for others the phrase, "It's the least I can do" comes up. I know I have said it myself when commenting about a hour spent here, a food bank donation made there, some things dropped off at a shelter or clothing depot, a casserole or soup made for an ailing friend or a bereaved family.







Realistically, many of us are not in the position financially to be as philanthropic as we might wish. We might even be feeling somewhat skeptical; the kinds of givers who never feel comfortable that our dollars are going where they should when our chosen charities are sending frequent multi-page, glossy colour brochures that cost five bucks each to mail. Wait! My money is supposed to be paying for Halima's education in Bangladesh . . .

Often over these past few festive weeks during times spent with others, eating well in warm lovely homes, surrounded by good health and plenty, discussions have turned to giving. As a student of the Buddha path, much of my studying has been about what it means to give and how by doing so, to develop one's spiritual nature. Giving with pure motivation is called dana paramita (Sanskrit), or dana parami (Pali), which means "perfection of giving." It comprises charity and the giving of material things, but also when one cannot give of those, the giving of lovingkindness to all and spiritual guidance to those who seek it.

One's motivation for giving is important, too. I ask myself  Why am I doing this now? and struggle sometimes with the thought that my giving is somehow self-serving. Being shamed or intimidated into giving; giving to receive a favor; giving to feel good about yourself are not pure motivations at all. The Buddha taught us to give without expectation of reward or even thanks. Giving quietly, even secretly, helps one to release attachment to material things and greed. There is a tradition in Japan where Buddhist monks carry out traditional alms begging with their faces obscured by broad straw hat brims so as not to be seen by the giver nor to see the giver's face.
Japanese Buddhist monk begging alms and praying.





How fortunate I am to know so many people with open, giving hearts. More than just giving to charity, their generosity shows a spirit of responding to the world and giving what is needed and appropriate at the time, all year long, locally and abroad, to all beings. Where once I was satisfied with an "It's the least I can do", but I will actively try and make it into "What more can I do?"

No comments:

Post a Comment